Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To Light the Night, To Help us Grow

I have had this beautiful song stuck in my head all day. It is just the prettiest song I think I've ever heard! "Little House" by Amanda Seyfried. It's on youtube--go listen to it and sob because you've seen Dear John and your heart just wants to break into a million pieces and love is the most beautiful thing in the world!

I just want to say this: I love weird people. I love people who are so freakin weird that they bring a guitar with them wherever they go and pretty soon everyone at rehearsal is singing "Let the Sunshine In" and dancing. Being around people like that makes my soul a little glow-y.

And we're all like that, aren't we? We all have weird thoughts running through our heads all the time, far-off dreams that we wouldn't dare tell anybody. I think the world would be a better place if we all just let our freak flags fly. "Be yourself with as much tender intensity as you can muster"--the best horoscope I ever read.

In tenth grade my choir teacher talked to us about "the coolness cop." The coolness cop is the little (or big) voice in your head that stops you from trying, stops you from sharing, stops you from doing anything that you think would make you look less "cool". You know that really awkward feeling you get when you want to do something but something inside you makes you nervous? So then you don't do it and you feel less like yourself and a little ashamed at letting that awkward feeling get the best of you (because my god, who cares?). It's the coolness cop. Well, he told us we need to ignore the coolness cop--recognize it, and then say no thank you, I'm going to just be myself. And that was one of the most valuble lessons I learned in school (or in tenth grade choir class, anyway).

Just things I've been thinking lately.

Also I keep having this feeling that my body is going to jump out my skin. Is that normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment